Books and Book Chapters
- Ch’ng, E., Gaffney, V.L. and Chapman, H. (forthcoming) Heritage in the Digital Age, Springer Cultural Computing Series.
- Buteux, S. and H. P. Chapman (in press-2009) Where Rivers Meet – the Catholme ceremonial complex and the archaeology of river gravels: research at the confluence of the Trent and Tame rivers in Staffordshire. English Heritage and the Council for British Archaeology
- Chapman, H. and B. Gearey (in press-2009) Archaeo-Environmental Modelling of Wetlands: the hidden landscape archaeology of Hatfield and Thorne Moors. English Heritage and the Council for British Archaeology
- Gaffney V. Fitch S. and Smith D. 2009. Europe's Lost World: The Rediscovery of Doggerland. CBA (Buy here)
- Barratt G., Dingwall L., Gaffney V.,Fitch S., Huckerby C. and Maguire T. 2007. Heritage management at Fort Hood, Texas: Experiments in Historic Landscape Characterisation. Oxford: Archaeopress (Buy here)
- Gaffney V., Thomson K. and Fitch S. (ed.) 2007. Mapping Doggerland: The Mesolithic Landscapes of the Southern North Sea. Archaeopress. Oxford. (Buy here)
- Gaffney V.L, White R.H.and Goodchild H. 2007. Wroxeter, the Cornovii and the Urban Process. Journal of Roman Archaeology Supplementary Series 68.
- Van de Noort, R., H.P. Chapman and J.R. Collis 2007. Sutton Common: the excavation of an Iron Age marsh-fort. English Heritage: Council for British Archaeology Research Report 154
- Chapman, H. 2006. Landscape archaeology and GIS. Stroud: Tempus
- Davison D., Gaffney V. and Marin E. 2006. Dalmatia: Research in the Roman Province 1970-2001. British Archaeological Reports International Series 1576.
- Gaffney V. and Kirigin B. (Ed.) 2006. The Adriatic Islands Project Volume 3. The Archaeological Heritage of Vis, Bisevo, Svetac, Palagruza and Solta. British Archaeological Reports International Series 1492.
- Croxford, B., H. Goodchild, J. Lucas and N. Ray (ed.) 2006. TRAC 2005. Proceedings of the 15th Theoretical Roman Archaeology Conference. Oxford: Oxbow
Edited journal special issues
- Ch’ng, E (forthcoming) Guest Editor, Living Virtual Heritage: Agents, Behaviours and Environment, Presence: Teleoperators and Virtual Environments, MIT Press.
- Challis, K. and Howard, A.J. (Ed.) 2006. Remote Sensing and Environmental Modelling in Alluvial Archaeological Landscapes. Special issue of Archaeological Prospection 13 (4), 231-299.
- V. Gaffney, S. Fitch, E. Ramsey, R. Yorston, E. Ch'ng, E. Baldwin, R. Bates, C. Gaffney, C. Ruggles, T. Sparrow, A. McMillan, D. Cowley, S. Fraser, C. Murray, H. Murray, E. Hopla and A. Howard (2013) 'Time and a Place: A luni-solar 'time-reckoner' from 8th millennium BC Scotland', Internet Archaeology 34 [link]
- Ch’ng, E. (2013) Model Resolution in Complex Systems Simulation: Agent Preferences, Behaviour, Dynamics and N-Tiered Networks, Simulation: Transactions of the Society for Modeling and Simulation International, Volume 89 Issue 5 May 2013 pp. 634 – 658.
- Lewis, A. and Ch’ng E. (2012) A Photogrammetric Analysis of Cuneiform Tablets for the purpose of Digital Reconstruction, International Journal of Cultural Heritage in the Digital Era, EuroMED Suppl. 1(1), 49-53.
- Hakvoort, G., Ch’ng E. and Beale, R. (2012) The Museum Environment: A Complex Community of Objects, People and Devices, International Journal of Cultural Heritage in the Digital Era, EuroMED Suppl. 1(1), 119-124.
- Gaffney C. And Gaffney V. 2011. Through an imperfect filter: geophysical techniques and the management of archaeological heritage. EAC occasional Paper No. 5. 117-129.
Fitch, S., Gaffney V., Gearey B. and Ramsey E.. 2011. Between the Lines – enhancing methodologies for the exploration of extensive, inundated palaeolandscapes. EAC occasional Paper No. 5, 173-205
- E. Ch’ng, Chapman H., Gaffney C., Gaffney V., Murgatroyd P. and Neubauer W. (2011) Landscapes without Figures: Big data, Long waves and the Formative Role of Archaeological Computing. IEEE Computer: Special Issue on Computational Archeology.
- Contributor to Peeters, H., Murphy, P. L. and Flemming, N. (2009) North Sea Prehistory Research and Management Framework 2009 Amersfoort: NSPRMF
- E. Ch'ng (2011) Spatially Realistic Positioning of Plants for Virtual Environments: Simple Biotic and Abiotic Interaction for Populating Terrains. IEEE Computer Graphics and Applications 99.
- Chapman H., Gaffney V., and Moulden H. (2010) The Eton Myers Collection Virtual MuseumInternational Journal of Humanities and Arts Computing.
- Bailey, G., Westley, K., Davies, W., Gaffney, V., Gibbard, P., Firth, A., Flemming, N., Schreve, D., Hosfield, R., White, M. and Bates, M. (2010) Maritime and Marine Historic Environment Research Framework: Draft Palaeolithic Resource Assessment [link]
- E. Ch'ng (2009) "Experiential Archaeology: Is Virtual Time Travel Possible?" Journal of Cultural Heritage, vol. 20, pp. 458-470, 2009.
- Ch'ng, E. (2009). "An Efficient Segmentation Algorithm For Entity Interaction." Biodiversity Informatics, 6(1), p. 5-17.
- Ch'ng, E. (2009). "A Behavioural Agent Model for Synthesizing Vegetation Distribution Patterns on 3D Terrains." Taylor & Francis, Applied Artificial Intelligence 23(1): 78-102.
- Fitch, S. and Gaffney, V. (2009) A view to the Past: The visualisation of the submerged prehistoric landscape of the Southern North Sea. Petroleum Geoscience
- Ch'ng, E. (2009) An Artificial Life-Based Vegetation Modelling Approach for Biodiversity Research, in Nature-Inspired informatics for Intelligent Applications and Knowledge Discovery: Implications in Business, Science and Engineering, R. Chiong, Editor. 2009, IGI Global: Hershey, PA.
- Challis, K., Kincey, M. and Howard, A.J. (2009). Airborne geoarchaeological remote sensing of valley floors using Daedalus ATM and CASI. Archaeological Prospection.
- Kincey, M. and Challis, K. (in press). Monitoring Fragile Upland Landscapes: The Application of Airborne Lidar. Journal for Nature Conservation.
- Kincey, M., Challis, K and Howard, A.J. (in press). Modelling Selected Implications of Potential Future Climate Change on the Archaeological Resource of River Catchments: An Application of Geographical Information Systems. Conservation and Management of Archaeological Sites.
- Challis, K., Kokalj, Z., Kincey, M., Moscrop, D. and Howard, A.J. 2008. Airborne Lidar and Historic Environment Records. Antiquity 82: 1055-1064.
- Gaffney C., Gaffney V., Cuttler R. and Yorston R. 2008. Initial Results using GPS Navigation with the Foerster Magnetometer System at the World heritage Site of Cyrene Libya. Archaeological Prospection. 15, 1-6
- Howard, A.J., Brown, A.G., Carey, C.J., Challis, K., Cooper, L.P., Kincey, M. and Toms, P. 2008. Archaeological Resource Modelling in Temperate River Valleys: A Case Study from the Trent Valley, UK. Antiquity 82: 1040-1054.
- Howard, A.J., Challis, K., Holden, J., Kincey, M. and Passmore, D.G. 2008. The Impact of Climate Change on Archaeological Resources in Britain: A Catchment Scale Assessment. Climatic Change 91:405-422.
- Kincey, M. 2008. Beyond the Pale? A reinterpretation of Tutbury ‘Park Pale’ based on a non-invasive archaeological earthwork survey. Staffordshire Archaeological and Historical Society Transactions, Vol 42, 50-63.
- Ch'ng E. (2007) Using Games Engines for Archaeological Visualisation: Recreating Lost Worlds, CGames '07, The 11th International Conference on Computer Games: AI, Animation, Mobile, Educational & Serious Games, La Rochelle, France. 21-23 November 2007.
- Ch'ng, E. (2007). Modelling the Adaptability of Biological Systems. The Open Cybernetics and Systemics Journal 1: 13 - 20. Bentham Science.
- Carter, R.A., Challis, K., S.M.N. Priestman and H. Tofighian 2007. The Bushehr Hinterland: results of the first season of the Iranian-British Archaeological Survey of Bushehr Province, November–December 2004, Iran, Vol 44.
- Fitch S., Gaffney V. and K. Thomson 2007. In sight of Doggerland: From speculative survey to Landscape Exploration. Internet Archaeology 22. Mesolithic Archaeology http://intarch.ac.uk/journal/issue22/fitch_index.html
- Goodchild, H. 2006. Review of Butterworth and Laurence 2005 ‘Pompei: the living city’. Rosetta 1 (http://www.rosetta.bham.ac.uk/Issue_01/goodchild.htm)
- Ch'ng E., and Stone R.J., (2006). 3D Archaeological Reconstruction and Visualization: An Artificial Life Model for Determining Vegetation Dispersal Patterns in Ancient Landscapes. IEEE Computer Society. Computer Graphics, Imaging and Vision, CGiV'06, 25-28 July 2006, Sydney, Australia.
- Ch'ng E. and Stone R.J., (2006). Enhancing Virtual Reality with Artificial Life: Reconstructing a Flooded European Mesolithic Landscape. Presence: Teleoperators and Virtual Environments, June 2006 Special Issue on Virtual Heritage, Presence 15 (3), pp. 341-352.
- Carey, C., Brown, A.G., Challis, K., Howard, A.J. and Cooper, L. (2006) Predictive modelling of multi-period geoarchaeological resources at a river confluence. Archaeological Prospection 13 (4), 241-250.
- Ch'ng E., Stone R.J., Arvanitis T.N., (2005). Evaluating Artificial Life-based Vegetation Dynamics in the Context of a Virtual Reality Representation of Ancient Landscapes. Virtual Systems and Multimedia, VSMM2005. Ghent, Belgium Oct 3-6, 2005, pp 112-118.
- Challis, K. 2006. Airborne laser altimetry in alluviated landscapes. Archaeological Prospection. 13
- Challis, K. 2006. Archaeology’s Cold War Windfall: The Corona Programme and Lost Landscapes of the Near East. Journal of the British Interplanetary Society.
- Challis, K. and Howard, A.J. 2006. A review of trends within archaeological remote sensing in alluvial environments. Archaeological Prospection 13 (4), 231-240.
- Gearey, B.R. and H.P. Chapman 2006. Planning policy, in situ preservation and wetland archaeology in the United Kingdom – some present concerns – a comment on Lillie et al. Conservation and Management of Archaeological Sites 8, 46-47
- Gearey, B.R. and H.P. Chapman 2006. Planning policy, in situ preservation and wetland archaeology in the United Kingdom – some present concerns. Conservation and Management of Archaeological Sites 7, 179-82
- Holden, J., West, L.J., Howard, A.J., Maxfield, E., Panter, I. and Oxley, J. 2006. Hydrological controls on in situ preservation of archaeological deposits. Earth Science Reviews 78, 59-83.
- Smith, D., Gaffney, V, Grossman, D., Howard, A.J., Milosevic, A., Ostir, K., Podobnikar, T., Smith, W., Tetlow, E., Tingle, M. and Tinsley, H. 2006. Assessing the later prehistoric environmental archaeology and landscape development of the Cetina Valley, Croatia. Environmental Archaeology 11 (2), 171-186.
- Fitch, S., Thomson, K. and Gaffney, V. 2005. Late Pleistocene and Holocene depositional systems and the palaeogeography of the Dogger Bank, North Sea. Quaternary Research. 64, 185-196
Contributions to edited volumes
- Ch’ng, E., Gaffney, V.L. and Chapman, H. (forthcoming), From Product to Process: New Directions in Digital Heritage, in Stephen Wu and Herminia Ding (eds.), Digital Heritage and Culture : Strategic and Implementation, World Scientific.
- Ch’ng, E., Lewis, A.W., Ghelken, E. (forthcoming) A Theoretical Framework for Stigmergetic Reconstruction of Ancient Text, in Ch’ng, Gaffney, V.L. and Chapman, H. (Eds.), Digital Heritage, Springer Cultural Computing Series.
- Ch’ng, E. and Gaffney, V.L. (forthcoming) Simulation and Visualisation of Agent Survival and Settlement Behaviours in the Hunter-Gatherer Colonisation of Mesolithic Landscapes, in Ch’ng, E., Gaffney, V.L. and Chapman, H. (Eds.), Digital Heritage, Springer Cultural Computing Series.
- Ch’ng, E. and Gaffney, V.L. (forthcoming) Seeing Things: Heritage Computing and the Arts and Humanities in Ch’ng, E., Gaffney, V.L. and Chapman, H. (Eds.), Heritage in the Digital Age, Springer Cultural Computing Series.
- E.Ch’ng (2013) Digital Heritage Tourism: Reconfiguring the Visitor Experience in Heritage Sites, Museums and Architecture in the Era of Pervasive Computing, Keynote paper – Percorsi creativi di turismo urbano (Creative Paths of Urban Tourism) Conference, Catania, 22-24 September 2011.
- Ch’ng, E. (in press) The Mirror Between Two Worlds: 3D Surface Computing Interaction for Digital Objects and Environments, in Harrison, D. (ed.), Digital Media and Technologies for Virtual Artistic Spaces, IGI Global.
- Fitch, S., Cuttler R., Kallweit H. and Al-Naimi F.A. (forthcoming 2009) Reconstruction and the Cultural Resource Management of the Late Pleistocene and Holocene landscapes in the offshore environs of the Gulf. Offshore Arabia (2009), Proceedings of the Offshore Arabia Conference, January 11-13 2009, Dubai, United Arab Emirates
- Howard, A.J., Whyman, M.H., Challis, K. and McManus, K. (forthcoming). Studying and managing archaeological resources on a regional scale: the Vale of York Visibility Project. In McManamon, F.P., Stout, A. and Barnes, J. (ed.). Managing Archaeological Resources. Left Coast Press, California.
- Howard, A.J., Whyman, M., Challis, K. and McManus, K.B. 2008. Recent work on the geomorphological and archaeological landscape of the Vale of York. In Atherden, M. and Milsom, T. (eds) Yorkshire Landscapes Past and Present. PLACE, York. 69-76.
- Fitch S., Gaffney V, and Thomson K. Sept 2007. Merging Technologies: integration and visualisation of spatial data. In: Gaffney V., Thomson K., and Fitch S. (Ed.) Mapping Doggerland: The Mesolithic Landscapes of the Southern North Sea. Archaeopress. Oxford
- Fitch S., Gaffney V. and Thomson K., with Briggs K, Bunch M. and Holford S. 2007. An Atlas of the Palaeolandscapes of the Southern North Sea. In: Gaffney V., Thomson K., and Fitch S. (ed.). Mapping Doggerland: The Mesolithic Landscapes of the Southern North Sea. Archaeopress. Oxford
- Fitch S., Gaffney V. and Thomson K., (2007) The Archaeology of the North Sea Palaeolandscapes. In: Gaffney V., Thomson K., and Fitch S. (Ed.) Mapping Doggerland: The Mesolithic Landscapes of the Southern North Sea. Archaeopress. Oxford
- Smith, D.N., Hill, T.C.B., Gearey, B.R., Fitch, S., Holford, S., Howard, A.J. and Joliffe, C. 2007. The potential of the organic archive for environmental reconstruction: an assessment of selected borehole sediments from the southern North Sea. In Gaffney, V., Thomson, K. and Fitch, S. (eds) Mapping Doggerland: the Mesolithic landscapes of the southern North Sea. Achaeopress, Oxford. 93-104.
- Challis, K., Howard, A.J., Smith, D.N., Gearey, B.R., Moscrop, D., Carey, C.J. and Thompson, A. 2006. Using airborne Lidar intensity to predict the organic preservation of waterlogged deposits. In Campana, S. and Forte, M. (Ed.) From ‘Space to Place’: 2nd International Conference on Remote Sensing in Archaeology. BAR International Series 1568. 93-98.
- Goodchild, H. 2006. Modelling Roman demography and urban dependency in central Italy, in B. Croxford, H. Goodchild, J. Lucas and N. Ray (ed.) TRAC 2005. Proceedings of the 15th Theoretical Roman Archaeology Conference. Oxford: Oxbow
- Gaffney V. et al. 2006. A game of Numbers: rural settlement in Dalmatia and the Central Dalmatian Islands. In Davison D., Gaffney V. and Marin E. 2006. Dalmatia: Research in the Roman Province 1070-2001. British Archaeological Reports International Series 1576.89-106.
- Gearey, B.R. and H.P. Chapman 2006. ‘Digital gardening’: an approach to simulating elements of palaeovegetation and some implications for the interpretation of prehistoric sites and landscapes, in T.L. Evans and P. Daly (ed.) Digital Archaeology – bridging method and theory, 171-90. Oxford: Routledge
- Ch’ng, E. (2012) Macro and Micro Environment for Diversity of Behaviour in Artificial Life Simulation, Artificial Life Session, The 6th International Conference on Soft Computing and Intelligent Systems, The 13th International Symposium on Advanced Intelligent Systems, 20-24 November 2012, Kobe, Japan.
- Gaffney V., Al Naimi F., Cuttler R. and Fitch S. 2011 with Ramsey E. and Kitchen E. Between The Salt Water And The Sea Strand. Report prepared for the National Atmospheric and Oceanographic Administration – 71 pages
Fitch S and Gaffney V. with Ramsey E. and Kitchen E. 2011. West Coast Palaeolandscapes Project (Main Project). Aggregates Levy Sustainability Fund, administered by English Heritage and Project Number 1997 – 170 pages
Fitch S and Gaffney V. with Ramsey E. 2010 West Coast Palaeolandscapes Project (Pilot Project). Aggregates Levy Sustainability Fund, administered by English Heritage Project Number 1920 - 54 pages.
- Chapman, H.P. 2008. Bonekickers, or should that be Bonepickers…? Review, in Current Archaeology, August 2008
- Chapman, H.P. and B.R. Gearey 2008. The Hatfield Trackway and Platform, Hatfield Moors, South Yorkshire. Yorkshire Archaeological Society: Prehistory Research Section Bulletin 45, 43-9
- Chapman, H.P. 2007. A day in the life of an archaeological surveyor for Time Team! Geomatics World 16, 34-36
- Chapman, H.P. and B.R. Gearey 2007. A Neolithic trackway and platform on Hatfield Moors. Archaeology in South Yorkshire 12, 20-22
- Chapman, H.P. and R. Van de Noort 2007. Excavations at Sutton Common. Archaeology in South Yorkshire 12, 23-26
- Van de Noort, R. and H.P. Chapman 2007. Excavating Sutton Common – changing the Iron Age. British Archaeology 96, 34-9
- Chapman, H.P. and B.R. Gearey 2006. The henge that went straight. British Archaeology 90, 42-47
- Gaffney V. 2006. Doggerland: lost world of the Stone age hunters. Current Archaeology 207, (12), 12-19